Observium is its core a collaborative project, and welcomes contributions from its users.
In order to maintain the quality of the software we have strict quality controls on contributions, particularly involving UI elements, but if you read our development documentation and guidelines, you shouldn't have much trouble!
Licensing and Copyright¶
By contributing code you are making a donation of the code unencumbered by licensing restrictions to Observium Limited for use within Observium.
Observium Community Edition is currently licensed under a modified QPL-1.0 license, and Professional Edition under a commercial license. We reserve the right to change the license for all or part of the code at any time.
What can be done?¶
Our philosophy is that everything can be improved, so there is really no limit to what can be done.
Key areas of possible improvement include:
- New device and MIB support
- Improving presentation and use of existing data
- Migration of older code to newer standards
Where to start¶
- Check the documentation below
- Check with the developers on the mailing list or in the IRC channel what you want to do, to avoid duplicating or doing unnecessary work
There is a lot of code of different ages in Observium, which has evolved through a number of different code stages. Please check with the developers first before taking something as a base to start from, as it may no longer be the preferred way of doing things!